The Meaning of Dreaming about Someone
Often when you can't understand the dreams you've had about someone, it can be frustrating and confusing. The interpretation of dreams can help decipher the messages your subconscious mind may be trying to communicate. People in dreams can represent (literally), qualities you'd like to acquire or goals you have. However, the most important aspect of interpretation, is what you think about the dream's meaning. Although others can help you to interpret your dreams, remember, that you are the dreamer and only you can understand the true message. This is why oneHOWTO would like to know the meaning of dreaming about someone.
Technique to know what it means to dream about someone
Before we go into more detail, finding the meaning behind dreaming about someone may be as simple as following these steps mentioned below, as many times, it's all about analyzing the dream and how it made you feel. This feeling may reflect on your real life, which is how you'll relate the person or feeling of the dream. Check it out:
- Write down dreams about someone as soon as you wake up. Try to be as detailed as possible. Describe what happened in the dream, including what happened to the person and how you felt about it.
- Determine if the person is someone you know, because this may point to strong feelings that you have for this person, or something that they represent for you. Pay attention to the events that happen to a person you don't recognize, because they may be more important in the dream, than the person itself.
- Pay attention to the race, age and sex of the person, and if they share the same characteristics as you, the person could represent yourself. If you don't share these characteristics with the person, record your feelings about them. For example, dreaming about an old woman can represent your fears of aging.
- Consider how you feel when the dream ends. Feelings about dreams are often underestimated, but they can tell a lot about what your subconscious is trying to communicate to you. Decide if you feel positively or negatively towards people in the dream. This can represent aspects that make you feel good or bad about yourself.
- Repeat these observations for several nights. Recognize if you're having the same dream often, this may indicate unresolved issues that your mind is trying to solve.
Technique to know what it means to dream about someone
The short answer is no, or at least not necessarily. Although common folklore says so, there is obviously no scientific proof that dreaming about someone means that they went to sleep thinking about you. However, if the person you dreamed about is someone close to you, the law of probability says that there are real chances that they may be thinking about you, as you are someone they love, worry about, or have some kind of relationship with you that makes them think about you at certain times.
Some people say that if you dream about someone you haven't seen for some time, it means they'll contact you shortly. If this happens, it doesn't mean you have psychic powers, it may just be coincidental.
Some people have reportedly had premonitory dreams, in which they have seen someone in a situation that has later happened. The truth is that we cannot know for certain if this is a coincidence too, but many people believe that people with strong bonds can become united in their subconscious, making the sleeping person feel what the other is feeling. This may also happen because your subconscious is faster than your conscious mind is. The person may be sending off subtle messages that your subconscious stores, meaning that your mind has reached the conclusion that something is about to happen with that person, even though your conscious mind has not picked up on these behaviors.
Dreaming about someone you like
We have already established that, if you dream about someone you like, it's not necessarily because they are thinking about you too. The most common reason why you dream about someone you like is because, especially during the first stages of love and crushes, you will be thinking about that person many times during the day, making your subconscious aware that this person is important to you. Therefore, your mind is simply reflecting the fact that you find this person attractive, interesting or fascinating.
How the person interacts with you in the dream, the part your crush plays and how he/she makes you feel during the dream will tell you a lot about your feelings towards this person.
For example, if you dream about someone you like rejecting you, this may be a reflection of your fears of rejection. You may be scared of letting the person know how you feel about them and may not feel self-confident.
Dreaming about someone you like fairly frequently may reflect your desire to let that person know how you feel about him/her and your will to spend more time with that person. Dreaming that the person likes you back is only a way of your subconscious telling you how much you desire this person and it reflects your hopes and expectations. Dreaming about getting married to the person you like is a pretty common dream that reflects your desires.
Dreaming about someone who has died
Is that someone you are dreaming about dead? Dead people in dreams can represent feelings about death, or objectives and relationships that were abandoned. There are scientific studies on the subject, such as the one reflected in the book Finding Meaning In Dreams, seems to indicate that dreaming about someone who has died can reflect stages of grief. Dr. Barrett from UCLA classified the dreams into four categories:
- Dreams of seeing the dead person that give the dreamer strong feelings: Dreaming about being very sad or amazed when seeing that the person is dead usually occurs during the first days or months of the person passing away. Psychologists relate this type of dream to the first stage of grief, which is denial. People who have very emotional dreams about someone who has died are trying to come to grips with the fact that this is so.
- Dreams of someone who has died giving you advice: These types of dreams happen months or even years after the person has died. The dreamer receives advice about something particular in the person's life or just general tips. This is just a way to find comfort in someone you consider a good guide when you are having even minor issues or reflects on what you would do if they were here. These dreams are pleasant.
- Dreams about the person who has died leaving: In this type of dream, the deceased person appears to talk to the dreamer and leaving for heaven, or even explaining how they are now. This type of dream usually reflects some kind of guilt the person has towards the deceased person, such as not visiting enough before their passing. These dreams will usually bring great relief to the dreamer and will not have the burden of guilt any longer. It is a subconscious way of closure.
- Dreams about the deceased person talking about their death: This type of dream is usually about people who have died with whom the dreamer was not particularly attached to. The dead person may calmly discuss the circumstances surrounding their death. This may reflect some kind of interest in the dreamer or that they are interested in the mysteries that surround death.
Dreaming of death is not uncommon and has many meanings of their own.
Dreaming about someone you don't like
So why should you dream about someone you don't like if you're not thinking about that person constantly? Well, maybe you are! When you dislike or hate someone, every little thing they do may annoy you, you may criticize certain aspects about their life or constantly be nosing into what they are doing. Your subconscious will pick up on this, which is why it's no wonder that they appear in your dreams. Dreaming about your ex is something that may happen often and may have many other interpretations too.
Again, it's important to remember how the person you don't like made you feel in the dream. For example, feeling jealous of the person you don't like because they have achieved something or have a certain attitude towards life may mean that this is what your really want in life. Sometimes, dreaming of a person you don't like may mean you actually want to be friends and liked by this person, especially if this is a kind of pleasant dream, your desire is for this person to look up to you.
If you want to read similar articles to The Meaning of Dreaming about Someone, we recommend you visit our Culture & Society category.
- Dreams often include meaningless details and it's not known exactly why. These details may not be important if they're not recurring in several dreams. Ignore them and focus on the individuals who are frequently present. Dreams about people can be powerful and if you interpret them correctly, you can help solve difficult problems in your life.