How Horoscopes Are Determined
Determining horoscopes is not an easy task. The way in which horoscopes are written and read is a combination of art and science, based on several thousand years of astrological studies. Originating from ancient Sumerians, horoscopes was taken up by the Greeks and Arabs. Innovations, to this day, are still being made on horoscopes.
Basically, determining horoscopes involves studying the planets and their relationship and impact on human life. The art of writing horoscopes has been held sway over several generations. There are several factors that are used while determining a horoscope. Have you ever wondered how horoscopes are made? well then, you’ve come to the right place. Here at oneHOWTO, we will be discussing how horoscopes are determined, keep reading for more!
Factors determined while writing a horoscope
There are several factors that are taken into consideration when writing a horoscope. The factors which are taken into account when horoscopes are made, include;
- Sun sign astrology: As far as astrology is concerned, almost everything is based on your sun sign; most commonly referred to as a Zodiac sign. This system claims that the position of the sun at the moment you were born places you into a category. These categories are separated by what we know as horoscopes. Therefore, there are 12 horoscopes, making up the 12 months of the year. Three of these horoscopes are fire signs, another three are earth signs, three are air signs and three are water signs.
Within the zodiac houses (horoscopes) we have the movement of the moon, sun and the planets. Each planet and each sun sign possess specific attributes. For instance, Neptune is found to be moody and dark, and Venus is related to love and romance. Each planet holds different temperaments through which it has a relationship with a specific zodiac sign. Each planet is responsible for affecting the entire horoscope of a sun sign. All of a planet’s movements of planets have an impact on how horoscopes are determined.
The twelve sun signs are categorized into four different elements: fire, water, earth and air. Each group holds different traits. They are the elements of natural world, and in many ways depend on each other. Your element group plays an important role in determining your horoscope.
- Aries, Sagittarius and Leo are fire signs. They have a reputation for being; dynamic, temperamental and passionate. They will stay warm to comfort you, but they are also capable of causing destruction. They get angry very quickly, but if they don’t have enough fuel they burn out, like fire. A little spark can set huge fire to a forest. So, they need to be managed and nurtured very carefully.
- Aquarius, Libra and Gemini are air signs. They are associated with ideas, action and motion. They always like changes. Like breeze, nobody can catch them and you will never know what’s going on in their mind. They like adventure and are powerful people.
- Taurus, Capricorn and Virgo are earth signs. They like to stay real and are always grounded to the earth. They are down to earth and like to start something with the back up of a solid foundation. These signs do work slowly and steadily; always trying to remain stable and loyal. They can, however, at times be practical and a little materialistic.
- Scorpio, Cancer and Pisces are water signs. They are known to be more emotional, sensitive and intuitive. They are as mysterious, like the ocean. Just like water, they may be refreshing, and at times, they may drown within their own depths. They are both intense and intuitive. They require more security in life, think about it; water if not kept in an air-tight container, may dry up and disappear.
Your element plays a large part in determining your character as a person; and this is why many people like to read horoscopes in order to get a little more perspective on themselves.
There is also a birth chart according to each sun sign. Sun is the ascendant in this chart. This chart is compared to the planets in motion. Since the movement of Moon is extremely fast, you usually come in contact with one planet on the chart. This chart can at times prove to be a little more difficult to understand.
One needs to focus on the motion of the movements to understand a birth chart. For example; Mercury in motion moves very fast, which is often used to determine a person’s relationship to communication in that period. The movement of slower moving planets is usually used to determine a steady forecast for a longer period of time.
Due to this method of constructing a birth chart, it is usually more appropriate to know your ascendant sign than your sun sign. A person writing a horoscope should be proficient in the field of astrology. Since these forecasts are not personal, it can be problematic to generalize them. It is important to know that these birth forecasts are not exact when analyzing a person’s life
Writing a horoscope is a very calculated process. There is an entire method of calculations that need to be done in order to make any predictions that are hoping to hold an ounce of validity. These horoscopes we are referring too are often more detailed than the little horoscopes you see in daily newspapers and monthly magazines.
Personal horoscopes are more comprehensive as compared to general sun sign ones. A person writing your horoscope will look at; your relevant planets, understand their movement and motions and see what they are doing. They will then intuitively work out how these energies will affect a person.
Professional tools and software programs
There are a plethora of tools and software programs that have pre-filled data of different planets motions. When using these tools, all you have to do is: enter your name, birth date, place of birth and other minor details. The tool or application itself will calculate a detailed horoscope based on the information provided.
Are horoscopes true?
Are horoscopes accurate? Well, this depends on who calculates and writes it. But it needs to be understood that horoscopes are not precise, but should be taken more as advice rather than complete truth.
One big problem is that many people ‘pretend’ to be astrologers, using convincing language to convince you about something and/or make fleeting predictions about you. Determining a horoscope is a science and art that one can master only through several years of experience, sometimes even generations. No crash course is capable of making you a full-fledged astrologer.
Another problem is that most people determine their horoscope based on their sun sign alone. But in reality, your sun sign is your only point of reference, and there are several other factors that can affect your actual life and its events. Such problems make horoscope a fairly unreliable source when making life decisions.
If you want to read similar articles to How Horoscopes Are Determined, we recommend you visit our Culture & Society category.